Learning about history offers children to gain an understanding of the past in relation to themselves, their families, their community and the wider world.
In accordance with the National Curriculum, children in key stage 1 are taught-
- changes within living memory
- events beyond living memory that are significant nationally or globally
- the lives of significant individuals in the past who have contributed to national and international achievements
- significant historical events, people and places in their own locality
At Gilberts we teach history through -
- whole class and group teaching
- other cross-curriclular subjects such as drama and art
- the use of film clips and IT resources
- visits and visitors
- use of timetables
- reading historical texts
History in the Early Years is taught under the area of Understanding The World and delivered through exciting themes and creative topics.